Tax Services: Recent Updates
Update, 2/18/2021: Tax forms available
All expected state and federal tax forms have arrived and are available in the library entryway.
Update, 1/11/2021: Local Tax Preparation Services
- VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) programs will be available in the Capital District area this year. This program provides free tax preparation service to those with lower incomes (contact VITA for income limits). Services will be provided on a drop-off/pick-up basis (drop off your information, return to sign your completed return). To find a VITA location and make an appointment, contact United Way’s 2-1-1 call center beginning JANUARY 29, 2021. Simply pick up your phone and dial the numbers 2-1-1.
- Jackson Hewitt Tax Service, located in the Rensselaer Country Plaza Walmart, is offering a discounted, flat-fee service to those who have used TaxAide or VITA in previous years but are unable to get an appointment this year. Appointments recommended, call (518) 810-3136 or book online. (To receive discount rate, must provide proof of eligibility for VITA/TaxAide, ex: prior year tax return. Call Jackson Hewitt for details.)
Notice, 1/6/2021: No TaxAide, Yes tax forms
We have received word from the local AARP TaxAide program that they will NOT be able to offer tax preparation services at our library this year. We are not yet aware of other free or low-cost services in our area, but we will update this page if we learn of any.
See the links below for online tax preparation information and services, and to print or request paper tax forms. No printer? Use the library’s wireless printing service.
We DO expect to receive state and federal tax forms this year, but we do not have an estimate on their arrival.
People who do not file income tax returns but would like to request an Economic Impact Payment can use this request tool from the IRS: Non-Filers: Enter Payment Info Here
Forms Currently Available in the Library
The following forms and instructions have arrived and are in stock in the library. Tax forms are located in the library entryway for easy browsing and pick-up. (Last update 2/18/21)
- IRS Form 1040 booklet
The 1040 booklet contains:
– Form 1040
– Form 1040-SR
– Schedules 1-3
– Schedule LEP
- IRS 1040 Instructions
- A variety of NY State tax forms, including IT 201 and IT201-I
If the form you are seeking is not yet available, you may use the links listed above to connect to the IRS or NY Tax websites to print forms and instructions.
- AARP Foundation TaxAide Online Tax Assistance (See frequently asked tax questions and submit your own question and receive a response)
- Search for TaxAide locations online or call 1-888-227-7669. (TaxAide Locator will be updated by early February.)
- AARP Local Assistance Directory: search for tax programs by geographic area (not just TaxAide)
- United Way of the Greater Capital Region 2-1-1 Service: search for tax assistance online or by phone (dial 2-1-1 to speak to a representative). Service available beginning 1/29/2021.
- Find a VITA tax assistance site
- NYS Dep’t of Taxation and Finance: free tax return preparation assistance
Tools and Information
- MyFreeTaxes.com, an online tax preparation service from United Way
- IRS Free File: free DIY online tax preparation
- IRS: tools for individual taxpayers
- IRS: what’s new and what to consider when filing in 2021