Job Posting: Part-time Youth & Family Services Library Assistant
The East Greenbush Community Library is currently accepting applications for a part-time Library Assistant to join the dynamic and dedicated Youth & Family Services team. Successful candidates will be creative, friendly, and committed to providing excellent customer service to children and caregivers in our diverse and fast-growing community.
Summary of position:
The Youth & Family Services Library Assistant is responsible for helping the department with the daily operations of the Children’s and Teen Rooms. This person assists the Youth Services Librarians with collection maintenance and in developing and implementing programs and events for children, teens, and families.
Responsibilities of this position may include, but are not limited to:
• Assisting patrons in the use of the library’s collections and services.
• Staffing the Youth Services Department, as assigned.
• Maintaining collections through shelving and regular shelf reading.
• Helping to plan, implement, and assist with programming held both in the library and at outreach locations.
• Planning and creating displays of materials.
• Assisting in the development and implementation of the Summer Reading Program.
• Maintaining a comfortable library atmosphere for children and young adults.
Our ideal candidate will:
• Be able to embrace and add to a playful and creative environment.
• Be excited to work with children and young adults.
• Be able to interact with and assist the public in a friendly and responsive manner.
• Have strong computer skills.
• Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State registered college or university with a bachelor’s degree; or
• Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State registered college or university with an associate’s degree and two (2) years of library experience
• Experience working with children and teens.
HOURLY PAY SCALE (STEP SCHEDULE): $19.57-$24.56 per hour
ASSIGNMENT: The position is 10-17 hours a week and includes evenings during the week and participation in a weekend rotation.
REPORTS TO: Head of Youth & Family Services
BENEFITS: none (optional NYS Retirement)
This is a civil service position and appointments are provisional.
East Greenbush Community Library
Attn: Amy McCarthy
10 Community Way
East Greenbush, NY 12061
Applications will be reviewed as they are received. The position will remain open until filled.
The mission of the East Greenbush Community Library is to serve as a community center for lifelong learning, with a broad range of ideas and information through traditional and emerging resources to meet the intellectual, recreational, and cultural needs of residents. We circulate over 200,000 items a year, and 20,000+ residents attend library programs. The library is open seven days a week, and more than 100,000 people visit the library yearly. Voted Times Union Best Library- 2nd place, 3 years running.
We are deliberate and self-reflective about the kind of team and culture we are building, and we are seeking colleagues that are not only strong in their own aptitudes, but care deeply about supporting each other’s growth and providing top-notch library service to the community. We value diversity- in backgrounds and in experiences. Equity, diversity, and inclusion are central to the promotion and practice of intellectual freedom, and we need people from all backgrounds and walks of life to be a part of our team.