Amended by the Board of Trustees 9/19/2023
Request for Reconsideration Policy PDF
The East Greenbush Community Library strives to provide all patrons with fair and equal access to library materials, resources, and programs. The Library’s role is to provide opportunities that will allow individuals to freely examine subjects and make their own decisions. The choice of library materials or resources by users is an individual matter. While patrons may reject materials, resources, or programs for themselves, they may not restrict the freedom of access for others.
Statement of Policy
- The Library Board of Trustees for the East Greenbush Community Library and the Library Director recognize that some individuals may take offense to the inclusion of specific items, programs or practices and they may wish to express their concerns. The Library has established a Collection Management Policy, Library Display Policy, Public Exhibit Policy, Programming Policy, and procedures for gathering input about particular items.
- East Greenbush Community Library values patrons’ opinions. Staff are available to discuss concerns and identify alternate resources that may be available. If a patron’s concern is not satisfied through discussion with staff, a formal, written Request for Reconsideration Form may be submitted to the Library Director. All Requests for Reconsideration in the Upper Hudson Library System (UHLS) shared collections should be directed to the Upper Hudson Library System Executive Director.
- Those who object to the content of a particular item must submit a Request for Reconsideration Form. The request will be judged according to the applicable policy (Collection Management Policy, Library Display Policy, Public Exhibit Policy, and Programming Policy) established by the Library. All patrons are encouraged to read these library policies before submitting their request.
- For a Request for Reconsideration to be considered, the form must be completed in full. The Library Director will respond in writing to the patron’s Request for Reconsideration. The response will indicate the action to be taken and reasons supporting such action.
- An item will only be evaluated for reconsideration once in a twelve- month period. Access to challenged material shall not be restricted during the reconsideration process.
- Neither the Request for Reconsideration Form nor its contents will be considered confidential.
- The East Greenbush Community Library Board of Trustees (Library Board) endorses and declares that it will
adhere to the Code of Ethics, the Freedom to Read statement, the Freedom to View statement, and the Library Bill of Rights, all of which were adopted by the American Library Association.
The following procedure shall be followed upon receipt of a Request for Reconsideration of Library Material form:
- The Library Director shall convene a staff review committee, who shall examine the challenged material and decide whether the material conforms to the principles of selection outlined in the Library’s applicable policies.
- The Library Director shall prepare a written decision. The decision shall be provided to the individual questioner. The decision shall be discussed with the individual questioner, if requested.
- The questioner shall have the right to appeal the decision of the Library Director to the Library Board, as the process review panel. The request for appeal must be made in writing to the Board and within 60 days of receiving the written report from the Library Director.
- The Library Board shall review the process followed by the staff review committee and Library Director to determine if the Request for Reconsideration Policy was followed and make a ruling. The Library Board’s decision is final.
Request for Reconsideration of Library Material Form
To assure prompt, complete consideration of your request complete this form as clearly as possible explaining the nature of your concern. Neither this document nor its contents will be considered confidential.