Amended by the Board of Trustees 6/28/2022
Request for Reconsideration Policy PDF
Persons who are concerned about the appropriateness of library resources or are unsatisfied with the response from an informal discussion about a title may choose to make a formal request for reconsideration of the work in question. This policy is intended to provide a standard method for receiving formal patron complaints.
Statement of Policy
- East Greenbush Community Library values your opinion. Individuals may take issue with library materials that do not support their tastes and views. Staff is available to discuss concerns and identify alternate materials that may be available. If a patron’s concern is not satisfied through discussion with staff, a formal, written (or electronically submitted) request for Reconsideration of Library Material (below) be submitted to the Library Director. All requests for reconsideration of material in any of the UHLS shared collections should be directed to the Upper Hudson Library System Executive Library Director.
- Those who object to the content of an item in the collection must submit a Request for Reconsideration of Library Material Form (below). The request will be judged according to the Collection Management Policy established by the library. All library users are encouraged to read the library’s Collection Management Policy before submitting their request.
- For a request for reconsideration to be considered, the form must be completed in full. The Library Director will respond in writing, within thirty days of receipt, to the patron’s request for reconsideration. The response will indicate the action to be taken and reasons supporting such action.
- An item will only be evaluated for reconsideration once in a twelve-month period. Access to challenged material shall not be restricted during the reconsideration process. Neither the Request for Reconsideration form nor its contents will be considered confidential
- The East Greenbush Community Library Board of Trustees (Library Board) endorses and declares that it will adhere to the Freedom to Read statement, the Freedom to View statement, and the Library Bill of Rights, all of which were adopted by the American Library Association (linked above)
The following procedure shall be followed upon receipt of a Request for Reconsideration of Library Material form:
- The Library Director shall examine the challenged material, determine professional acceptance by reading critical reviews of the resource; weigh values and faults and form opinions based on the material as a whole, rather than on passages or a section taken out of context; discuss the challenged item with the individual questioner when appropriate; decide whether the material conforms to the principles of selection outlined in the Library’s Collection Management Policy.
- The Library Director shall prepare a written report. The report shall be provided to the individual questioner within 30 days of request. The report shall be discussed with the individual questioner if requested.
- The questioner shall have the right to appeal any decision of the Library Director to the Library Board of Trustees as the review panel. The request for appeal must be made in writing and within 60 days of receiving the written report by the Library Director.
- The Library Board’s decision is final, unless instructed by a court to do otherwise.
Request for Reconsideration of Library Material Form
To assure prompt, complete consideration of your request complete this form as clearly as possible explaining the nature of your concern. Neither this document nor its contents will be considered confidential.