Position Available: Temporary Full-time Youth & Family Services Librarian I
The East Greenbush Community Library is looking for a friendly, creative person who will provide excellent customer service to children and caregivers, and is committed to diversity, equity, and equality. In joining our dynamic and dedicated Youth & Family Services team, a successful candidate will be able to work in a highly collaborative setting to offer service to our fast-growing community. This is a 4-month, temporary position.
Summary of position:
The Youth & Family Services Librarian I will work directly with children, teens, and adults to assist with their reading needs. They will have collection responsibilities and the ability to plan and coordinate with team members on a variety of programs for children and teens.
Responsibilities of this position may include, but are not limited to:
• Providing reference and readers’ advisory assistance to children, teens, and adults.
• Planning and conducting storytimes, as well as children’s and tween/teen programs.
• Assisting in all phases of collection development, including acquisitions and weeding.
• Maintaining awareness of current trends in children’s literature, child development, and library technology.
Our ideal candidate will:
• Be able to embrace and add to a playful and creative environment.
• Be excited to work with children and young adults.
• Have strong computer skills.
• MLS from an ALA accredited library school
• New York State Public Library Professional Certificate
• Must be eligible for a provisional appointment as a Librarian I under Rensselaer County Civil Service Guidelines
SALARY PAY SCALE (STEP SCHEDULE): $24.96-$31.20 per hour
ASSIGNMENT: The position is 37.5 hours per week and includes evenings during the week and participation in a weekend rotation. 4-month temporary position.
REPORTS TO: Head of Youth & Family Services
BENEFITS: none (optional NYS Retirement)
East Greenbush Community Library
Attn: Amy McCarthy
10 Community Way
East Greenbush, NY 12061
Applications will be reviewed as they are received. The position will remain open until filled.
The mission of the East Greenbush Community Library is to serve as a community center for lifelong learning, with a broad range of ideas and information through traditional and emerging resources to meet the intellectual, recreational, and cultural needs of residents. We circulate over 200,000 items a year, and 20,000+ residents attend library programs. The library is open seven days a week, and more than 100,000 people visit the library yearly. Voted Times Union Best Library – Second place, 3 years running.
We are deliberate and self-reflective about the kind of team and culture we are building, and we are seeking colleagues that are not only strong in their own aptitudes, but care deeply about supporting each other’s growth and providing top-notch library service to the community. We value diversity- in backgrounds and in experiences. Equity, diversity, and inclusion are central to the promotion and practice of intellectual freedom, and we need people from all backgrounds and walks of life to be a part of our team.