The East Greenbush Community Library maintains laptop computers available for checkout by patrons of the Upper Hudson Library System with an account in good standing. The library assumes no responsibility for damage to peripherals or loss of work due to equipment failure.
- Laptops can be checked out at the Reference Desk by patrons 16 and older. Age exceptions can be made at the discretion of the Director or senior librarian in charge.
- Laptops are available on a first-come, first-served basis and cannot be reserved. One laptop may be checked out per patron.
- A current, valid library card or picture ID is required at checkout.
- Laptops must be used in the library; they may not be taken out of the building. Removing a laptop from the building will be considered theft, and the police will be notified.
- Laptop borrowers must also agree to the Internet Use Policy.
- Laptop is not to be left unattended at any time.
- Patron documents can be saved temporarily to the laptop, but they will be deleted on restart or upon equipment failure. Patrons must use a flash drive or email to reliably retain documents.
- Patrons are not allowed to install software or change system settings on the laptop.
- The laptop must be returned to the librarian at the reference desk in the same operating condition as when it was borrowed.
- The laptop must be checked in at least 30 minutes prior to closing time, even if that means an abbreviated session for the patron.
Fines and Liability
- If the laptop is not returned before closing, it will be considered stolen and the police will be notified. The laptop replacement cost will be assessed and charged against the patron’s library card.
- Damage and part loss charges will be assessed at replacement value and charged against the patron’s library card.
- If a laptop is stolen while checked out to a patron, the Library assumes no responsibility. Replacement cost will be assessed and changed against the patron’s library card.
Troubleshooting: If you experience problems with the laptop’s hardware or software, please bring the laptop to the Reference Desk for assistance.
Amended and Revisions Approved by the Library Board of Trustees December 18, 2018