Board of Trustees
2022 Library Budget Vote & Election Results
Held on Tuesday, September 14th from 9 am – 9 pm
Thank You Voters!
253 voters cast their ballots, with 214 in favor of the budget and 39 opposed, to pass the 2022 Budget by a margin of 5 to 1. We would also like to welcome our newly elected Trustees, Amanda Miller (5-year term) and Katie Sheehan (4-year term) to serve on the Library Board of Trustees beginning on January 1, 2022.
2022 Proposed Budget FAQ
What is the Library’s Proposed Budget for 2022?
The total proposed budget is $2,137,375. The portion of the budget raised from taxes is $1,770,525. The rest comes from a contract for service with the Town of Schodack, State & County aid, fines, lost item fees, photocopy and computer printing fees, fax fees, interest income
What is the impact on tax rates and individual taxpayers?
The East Greenbush Community Library District is comprised of the Town of East Greenbush. The tax rate is increasing by .0126 cents per thousand dollars of assessed value from .8978 to .9104 (approximately 1 cent). A property with an assessed value of $200,000 would see a slight increase of around $2.52 per year from $179.57 per year to $182.09 per year.
Will the library’s budget exceed the Tax-Cap?
Does the community use the Library?
- Yes! Even during a pandemic, the community used the library, borrowing digital books, audio books and streaming movies.
- In 2020, 65,378 people visited the library, 12,419 people joined our virtual programming and in-person events and 92,575 people visited our website. People took advantage of curbside pickup and take-home crafts. Library staff circulated 185,579 physical items and total electronic content use (digital e-books, digital audiobooks, streaming video, streaming music, digital magazines, and database usage) was 110,706.
How many trustees are being elected this year?
One five-year term and one four-year term are up for election.
When is the Library Budget Vote and where is it held?
- The Annual Library Budget Vote will be held at the library on Tuesday, September 14, 2021.
- Polls are open between 9am and 9pm.
Who is eligible to vote in the Library election?
- The East Greenbush Community Library is a Special Legislative Library District chartered by the New York State Board of Regents.
- Voters, both renters and property owners, need to be registered in New York State and live within the Library District 30 days prior to the vote.
- The Library District consists of all of the Town of East Greenbush. The Library District does not follow the East Greenbush School District or Town of Schodack boundaries.
How do I get more information?
The proposed 2022 budget is available at the Library and on our website. A public hearing was held on July 20, 2022. To learn more, contact Jill Dugas Hughes, email@example.com
Candidates for 2022 Trustee Election: Two Open Positions
For the past year, I have been honored to serve as a Trustee for the East Greenbush Community Library. I have learned a lot about library operations and the hard work that the Board does for the Library and the Town of East Greenbush.
About me: I am a parent in the community who loves to take my son to the library. Pre-COVID we would visit for storytime. We also visited the Music Together program, something that we would normally never have been exposed to in the real world, as well as the animal visits. We
make weekly visits to the farmers’ market, showing how our support makes a real impact when we shop locally. The East Greenbush Community Library holds a special place in our family ever since we moved here in 2018 and we wish to continue improving it.
I currently work as a paralegal for a law firm in Colonie and have had previous work experience as a market researcher and retail manager. I also appeared on an episode of Jeopardy. The skills and experience I have gained from these positions and experiences give me a unique insight and perspective when it comes to carrying out the library’s vision both now and in the future.
- March *no meeting due to COVID closure*
Copies of the 2009 to 2014 Library of Trustees Board Minutes are available in the library.
- February *No March meeting (COVID)
Library Road Map
Want to know what the library has been up to? Learn more:
Michael Poost, President
Robert West, Vice President
Lynne Oudekerk, Treasurer
Mari Harris, Secretary
Camille Engel, Trustee
Shay Harrison, Trustee
Amanda Miller, Trustee
The Library Board of Trustees typically meets the third Tuesday of each month at 7:30 pm. Board members serve on one of two committees: Administrative and Service. To learn more, contact Michael Poost, Board President.