Adopted by the Board of Trustees 4/20/2010
Programming Policy (PDF)
The East Greenbush Community Library is committed to programming that reflects diverse perspectives, encourages open inquiry, and respects the rights of all library users. Library programming is intentional, thoughtful, and driven by policy, mission, vision, and strategic plan. The Library supports intellectual freedom and resists censorship.
Programs are defined as any group activity offered to the public that library staff have coordinated, planned, and/or presented, whether offered in or out of the Library. Program focus areas include, but are not limited to literature, arts, culture, science, technology, education, and community issues.
- Groups that use the meeting room for their own purposes, while not covered by this policy, must adhere to the Meeting Room Policy.Library programs are free and open to the public. With the approval of the Director an optional charge for materials or books that participants will keep may be levied.
- The Library will offer a diverse range of programs and events to reflect the needs and interests of the community.
- Program selection and planning will consider the Library’s commitment to intellectual freedom, ensuring that programs address a variety of perspectives on a given topic.
- Library staff will fully vet professional qualifications and references of program presenters and performers. Final review and approval of topic, content and presenter will be the responsibility of the Director.
- Programs sponsored by the Library shall be designed to appeal to a broad range of ages, tastes, and interests. Some programs geared to specific interests and developmental stages may be restricted by target audience. Programs targeted toward specific audiences shall be publicized as such.
- Every attempt will be made to include all who wish to attend a program. However, when safety or the success of the program requires it, attendance may be limited. When limits must be established, registration will be required and may be restricted by residency. Attendance at programs not requiring pre-registration will be determined on a first come, first served basis.
- Some programs may be of great interest to the community. By attending a Library sponsored/co- sponsored program, the attendee grants permission to allow filming and broadcasting. The Library reserves the right to photograph Library program attendees for use in Library marketing materials. Those who do not want to be photographed must explicitly notify Library staff verbally or in writing at each program.
- Programs may be cancelled, typically for severe weather, absence of the presenter, or low registration. Cancelled programs are not automatically rescheduled.
- In the event of a complaint or challenge regarding a library program, the East Greenbush Community Library will follow the Library’s Request for Reconsideration Policy.
Adopted, Library Board of Trustees, April 20, 2010 Amended, Library Board of Trustees, September 19, 2023
- The East Greenbush Community Library encourages community members to provide suggestions and feedback for library programs and events. Suggestions for library programming will be evaluated based on their alignment with the Library’s mission, vision, strategic plan, community interests, capacity, and intellection freedom principles.
- The Library welcomes partnerships and collaborations with community organizations, experts, and individuals to enhance the quality and diversity of programming.
Adopted, Library Board of Trustees, April 20, 2010
Amended, Library Board of Trustees, September 19, 2023